Forward Health Group maintains a very flexible and relaxed office environment but enjoys the demands of our work while going above and beyond our client’s expectations. If you need a challenge and think you would be a good fit for our team, we encourage you to apply. This is an opportunity to work in a flexible, fun, and challenging environment.
In this position, you will serve as a critical member of our IT support team for a growing healthcare software solution provider based in Madison. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for designing, implementing, and monitoring our Linux infrastructure ensuring reliability, recoverability, and security across all environments. This role will also lead the coordination with the company’s third-party managed services vendor as it relates to managing our AWS environments as well to support the appropriate configuration, management, and monitoring of our cloud-based solutions and the numerous AWS services employed to meet customer needs. In addition to managing the AWS life cycle, this Administrator will serve a key role in suggesting opportunities to improve and advance our technical infrastructure to enhance performance and move the company forward by embracing and successfully adopting new technologies at the right time and pace to enable long term organizational development and growth.
- Proactively maintain and develop all Linux infrastructure technology and AWS cloud environments and tools to maintain a 24x7x365 uptime service along with security, provisioning, and automation.
- Coordinate closely with third-party managed services company to ensure the full and appropriate management and use of our AWS resources and tools throughout the AWS life cycle. Ensure patching is done timely and appropriately, troubleshoot issues with their team as required, and engage vendor engineering resources as appropriate to continually advance our use of AWS system resources and tools. Work to fine-tune and configure cloud infrastructures as necessary.
- Serve as a back-up to other company IT personnel including the System Administrator and Data Integration Analyst to the extent practical.
- Engineer appropriate systems administration-related solutions for various project and operational needs based on client requirements and best practice system and security design approaches.
- Proactively monitor and manage system performance and capacity planning at both the Linux and AWS levels. Suggest improvements as appropriate.
- Manage, coordinate, and implement software upgrades, patches, hot fixes on servers, workstations, and network hardware as necessary.
- Create and modify scripts or applications to perform tasks to result in efficient and reliable operations.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve systems issues as necessary to minimize client impact and unplanned downtime.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement appropriate security measures to protect data, software, and hardware including maintaining appropriate access control as well as the integrity of data, throughout multi-tier systems.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Provide input on ways to improve the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of our environments.
- Collaborate with other teams and team members to develop automation strategies and deployment processes.
- Follow IT policies and procedures and make suggestions for improvements to ensure security, reliability, and recoverability of our critical systems and protection of client data assets. Maintain system documentation in a consistent and timely manner at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Technical Expertise – Possess strong technical expertise in the area of IT multi-tier systems particularly related to Linux and AWS environments, database management and general IT security. Understand SOC 2 Type II requirements related to system and database security as established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). Possess a proven results orientation, strong written and verbal communication skills at all levels of the organization as well as with both internal and external parties, ability to identify and mitigate data or systems issues and challenges while training others to play a contributory role to continuously improve the IT posture of the organization. Constantly working to increase personal knowledge of new technologies and approaches to data and systems management through ongoing education, reading and networking with other IT security professionals.
Critical Thinking – Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing technical issues as they arise in a calm and professional manner at all times.
Customer Service – Ability to interact with internal and external technical and non-technical staff in a professional and thorough manner to provide technical information in a timely and accurate way to further client results in the most efficient manner possible. Commitment to meeting deadlines and exceeding customer expectations in a proactive and positive manner. Proactively engages customers to understand requirements and to keep them apprised of progress toward mutually agreed upon deadlines.
Communication – Demonstrated ability to convey technically complex or challenging concepts and decisions to broad audiences orally and through written summaries and presentations. Ongoing contributor to departmental policies and process documentation and to keeping client issues logs and program and project plan status accurate and up to date in a timely manner. Proactively communicates with other team members to understand requirements, review appropriate technical alternatives to lead to timely decision-making by appropriate parties, and to develop support and understanding for changes that need to be made.
Problem Solving – Develop creative solutions to resolve problems identified within client facing or internal data or systems, processes and workflows with a vigilant eye to improving our results. Committed to proactively providing support to teams and clients to identify root causes of issues or errors to eliminate them from future iterations. Tenacious in finding root cause of issues and developing creative solutions to ensure data integrity and complete and thorough resolution of issues and proactive avoidance of similar issues in the future through adoption of improved processes and practices.
Ethics – Role models for others respect, integrity and high ethical standards at all times. Upholds and inspires others to embrace organizational values and behaviors.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Reliable and approachable member of the team that can adjust personal preferences to accommodate needs of others as appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in computer science, information systems, database administration or other related technical area or equivalent experience with the expectation that a Bachelors degree will be obtained within a reasonable timeframe following hire.
- 2 or more years of related system administration experience including in depth Linus system administration experience and exposure to AWS environments.
- Working experience of Linux scripting, configuration, management and revision control.
- Previous experience with AWS, certification strongly preferred but we will support ongoing training and certification in this role as well.
- Red Hat Certification strongly preferred.
- Professional experience with MySQL, Apache, PHP, and Mac OS X preferred.
- Strong SQL skills, including the ability to write efficient queries and read stored procedure required.
- Some database administration, Docker and Airflow experience a plus.
- Solid understanding of data systems, including data relationships and data modeling with the ability to learn and understand various data environments.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts is beneficial (ETL, staging, data marts, etc.).
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Effective written and oral communication skills required.
- Knowledge of relevant laws including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and IT security regulations (SOC 2 Type II) preferred.
- SSIS or another ETL software experience preferred.
Decision Making: Ability to quickly assess and identify viable options, to prioritize issues and outcomes, and to make decisions and provide direction to leaders and staff to advance data and systems-related organizational priorities are essential to success in this role. Ability to engage decision-makers to appropriate conclusions and to enable change from beginning to end is important.
Communication Skills: Strong skills in conveying complex IT data and system related strategies and approaches with staff and customers as necessary in a direct and easy to understand manner is essential in this role in both written and verbal forms.
Language Skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from both internal and external customers at all levels of the organization required. Fluency in English is required.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have expertise of IT systems including Linux systems administration, some exposure to AWS and a strong desire to advance that knowledge and expertise, some experience with database management systems, related hardware and software in addition to general system administration IT related topics. Strong understanding and commitment to IT security concepts and best practices is also critical.
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. There is general office noise. We are open to in office, remote or hybrid work. Some onsite work is necessary during orientation to learn the organization, understand the products and develop rapport with team members.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, or kneel. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, usually waist-high. Specific vision abilities required by this job included close vision.
No specific certifications or licenses are required for this role.
This role is not responsible for the ongoing supervision of other FHG staff at this time.
Required occasionally in order to advance company objectives or to participate in important meetings.